Motherhood can be one of the most beautiful experiences of your life, but it also has some negative aspects. Children demand constant care and that can leave you with little time on your hands to care for YOU, especially if you have to work and manage the household as well. A very common misfortune that follows is instead of keeping a healthy and nutritious diet that will keep you fit and vigorous, eating fast-food or the leftovers your kiddo didn’t eat. These healthy snack ideas will surely help you get the nutrients you need!
Here are my top 10 healthy snack ideas for busy moms, so that any mother can implement them in her daily schedule.
1. Yogurt with fruit. This combination is extremely easy and healthy as it offers both proteins, vitamins and fiber (the latter two depending on the fruit that you choose) and is always a delicious choice for any time of the day. Just chop your favorite fruit in pieces, add them on top of a serving of yogurt and you have an excellent and nutritious dish. My two favorite fruits to add are blueberries and strawberries. Another tip for extra flavor and higher nutritious value is to use Greek yogurt instead of regular (if you are not following some strict diet), as it offers almost double the protein of regular yogurt, which will keep you satisfied longer.
2. Hard boiled eggs. They require minimal time to prepare and you can make them ahead of time. If you prepare them ahead of time and boil 5-8 at a time you’ll have a quick and easy snack to help get you through your day. They can be stored up to 5 days in the refrigerator so it’s a great make-ahead snack! With just 60 calories it’s a great way to get in more protein without undoing your day.
3. Veggies and hummus. There’s a lot of variety now for hummus so depending on your preference you’re sure to find one you like. Hummus is a great alternative to sour cream dips that are loaded with fat and offer little nutritional value. Choosing a veggie to go with it is endless! Some of my favorites are baby carrots, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes and celery. It’s quick and easy and offers a lot of nutritional value as well as getting in a serving or two of veggies.
4. Probably one of the simplest choices is an apple with almond milk. It’s quick, easy and offers a lot of nutrition. Anytime you have fruit as a snack it’s a great idea to pair it with some sort of protein to help you stay full. The fiber in the apple will definitely help you achieve that while the protein in the almond milk is also great for keep you full and satisfied.
5. Granola bars. They need a bit more time invested, but can offer you snack for days to come and really become an immediate solution to anytime you want to eat something quick and delicious. I am referring to homemade granola bars, a snack that can be as diverse and original as you want it to be. There are dozens of combinations, from cereals, nuts and fruits so on that you will never get bored of them and always enjoy a quick boost of energy. The only thing I recommend is invest once a week some time for the preparation of as many bars as you want (or your oven can handle) and you can have loads of snacks for your daily schedule. Plus it’s a great snack for the kiddos are well!
6. Peanut butter and bananas. Seriously anything with peanut butter and I’m so there! It’s packed with protein but is also a bit on the fattening side so definitely practice moderation here! Look for natural varieties as they don’t have any hydrogenated oils. Remember earlier I mentioned always pair a fruit with protein? Same case here! For an indulgent treat cut the banana in slices, add a dab of peanut butter and create a “sandwich.” Then warm some dark chocolate and dip the banana in. Let cool and enjoy!
7. Cucumber sandwiches. So quick and easy! Cucumber, hummus, cheese and meat is all you need to make a quick snack! Slice a cucumber, add a dab of hummus then add your cheese and meat! It’s low carb as the “bread” will be your cucumber making it a super healthy snack for you and your kids. Get the complete recipe here!
8. Almonds. Almonds are high in monounsaturated fats, the good fat! Healthy fats are a vital part of your diet and can help you reduce your risk of heart disease. Almonds are also high in antioxidants which supports a healthy cell system. They’re also high in fiber which helps keep you full until your next meal. Doesn’t get much easier than grabbing a hand full of almonds while rushing out the door!
9. Cheese sticks. These quick and easy grab-on-the-go snacks are perfect for busy moms! They’re high in calcium and protein and at only 80 calories per stick it’s another top snack idea for busy moms! Plus my kids love them as well, so it’s another great alternative to chips!
10. Smoothies. The final snack in my list of healthy snack ideas is smoothies. There are literally endless possibilities here! It just takes a few minutes to whip up a smoothie and with so many choices and varieties you will never get board! I use unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk in mine. Adding in spinach or kale is a great way to get super healthy greens in your diet without the taste! It’s a great way to get the kids to try new things and get their veggies in!
I hope you enjoyed this list of healthy snack ideas! Staying in front of your meal prep and always being prepared with a healthy alternative to chips, candies and cookies is a great way to keep you on a healthy path. We’re all busy and have the same 24 hours in a day, with some planning and healthy options these will be a great way to sneak in a snack while shuffling the kids to practice, cleaning up messes or just simply running errands.
Have some favorite healthy snack ideas? Post it below!
To Your Success,